Monday, June 11, 2012

Pasta with Ricotta, Spring Peas, and Pancetta





I really like peas. It kind of took me by surprise too, I mean who likes peas? Seriously though, nothing tastes better when they're in season. There are some great organic growers at the Greenmarket in Union Square that I like to buy them from. They're only around for a few weeks in the very beginning of summer and after that, nada. Picture my really sad face. Anyway, this dish is in honor of pea season. It's pasta with peas (obviously), sheep's milk ricotta, pancetta, garlic, onion, and some lemon.

HOW TO:

Fresh peas come like this:


So they require some shelling. I recommend doing this with a nice glass of white wine. Afterwards, voilĂ !


Brown diced pancetta in some olive oil. Remove from pan and sauté garlic and shallots (I used red onion here) in the remaining oil. Return the pancetta after lightly browned. Meanwhile, cook the peas in some salted, boiling water for 4 minutes, and start cooking the pasta. Drain and transfer the peas to the pan with the pancetta. Lightly smash the peas. Season with salt, pepper, and the zest of one lemon. Turn the heat on low and add the sheep's milk ricotta. Add some pasta water to thin out the sauce. Toss in the pasta and mix to combine. Finish with some lemon juice to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment